OSTP is investigating AI's role in government.
The White House wants to hear what you think about the future of artificial intelligence.
Earlier this month, the Office of Science and Technology Policy announced it was hosting several public workshops on the technology, part of an effort to promote its use in government. Now, OSTP is asking the members of the public to send in their thoughts about the social and legal implications of artificial intelligence, among other topics.
While potentially useful in government, especially in fields such as criminal justice, artificial intelligence “carries risks and presents complex policy challenges,” OSTP’s call for information says. The public input will help OSTP recommend “directions for research.”
OSTP is specifically looking for information on:
- Potential policy implications of AI
- How it can be used for the public good
- Current research gaps
- Technical and scientific training for AI
- How the federal government can help advance AI research
- Data sets that could be used to train AI systems
Responses are due July 22.