recommended reading

Does anyone really use Google+ still?

Paul Sakuma/AP

In an attempt to show us how much Google+ has grown, Google released numbers Thursday that prove little more than how few users it's gotten users to engage with the service's front end. At 500 million "upgraded" users, "Google+ is the fastest-growing network thingy ever," writes Vic Gundotra, the social network's senior vice president, on Google's official blog. And that might be true in some ways — Twitter's growth has slowed, as has Facebook's. But that title really depends on how we define "network thingy" and also "user." If that's a total of 500 million on Google+, and only 135 million of those are what Gundotra describes as "active in the stream," then only about 27 percent of people with Google+ accounts use it as a complete social network. The other 365 million, or 73 percent, are either people who plus-one things around the Internet, or have accounts because they also have Gmail and it's kind of all, uh, linked in and whatnot. In that case, Google+ is the fastest growing thing people sign up for to maybe share things, to maybe let it sit latent, or, for 27 percent of people, to interact with other Google+ users.

Read more at The Atlantic Wire

Threatwatch Alert

Thousands of cyber attacks occur each day

See the latest threats

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Close [ x ] More from Nextgov
 
 

Thank you for subscribing to newsletters from Nextgov.com.
We think these reports might interest you:

  • Featured Content from RSA Conference: Dissed by NIST

    Learn more about the latest draft of the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology guidance document on authentication and lifecycle management.

    Download
  • PIV- I And Multifactor Authentication: The Best Defense for Federal Government Contractors

    This white paper explores NIST SP 800-171 and why compliance is critical to federal government contractors, especially those that work with the Department of Defense, as well as how leveraging PIV-I credentialing with multifactor authentication can be used as a defense against cyberattacks

    Download
  • Toward A More Innovative Government

    This research study aims to understand how state and local leaders regard their agency’s innovation efforts and what they are doing to overcome the challenges they face in successfully implementing these efforts.

    Download
  • From Volume to Value: UK’s NHS Digital Provides U.S. Healthcare Agencies A Roadmap For Value-Based Payment Models

    The U.S. healthcare industry is rapidly moving away from traditional fee-for-service models and towards value-based purchasing that reimburses physicians for quality of care in place of frequency of care.

    Download
  • GBC Flash Poll: Is Your Agency Safe?

    Federal leaders weigh in on the state of information security

    Download
  • Data-Centric Security vs. Database-Level Security

    Database-level encryption had its origins in the 1990s and early 2000s in response to very basic risks which largely revolved around the theft of servers, backup tapes and other physical-layer assets. As noted in Verizon’s 2014, Data Breach Investigations Report (DBIR)1, threats today are far more advanced and dangerous.

    Download

When you download a report, your information may be shared with the underwriters of that document.