recommended reading

author archives

Results 11-20 of 27

The White House Doesn’t Think Sea Level Rise Is Important to U.S. Infrastructure

August 15, 2017 The latest climate change rule on President Trump’s chopping block: preparing for a rise in sea level. Trump will sign an executive order Tuesday (Aug 15) that rescinds an Obama-era order requiring government agencies to take into account future sea-level rise when building federal infrastructure. The intent is to “streamline...

from govexec

All the Words Employees at the Agriculture Department Can’t Use Anymore Relating to Climate Change

August 7, 2017 On February 16, federal employees at an arm of the US Department of Agriculture received an email from one of their bosses on how to talk about climate change under the new administration. The gist was clear: Don’t talk about it. According to emails obtained by the Guardian, Bianca Moebius-Clune,...

Drone Hobbyists Continue to Disrupt Firefighting

July 9, 2017 It’s wildfire season in the U.S., and fire departments are issuing pleas to hobbyists to stop flying their drones anywhere near the blazes. When a drone is in the sky, firefighting planes and helicopters are grounded or kept away, because a collision could be disastrous. More than a dozen hobby...

For the First Time Ever, U.S. Is Getting 10% of its Electricity From Wind and Solar

June 16, 2017 Renewable energy in the U.S. just hit a new benchmark: 10 percent of the electricity produced in a single month came from wind and solar power for the first time. This March, 8 percent of U.S. electricity came from wind power, and 2 percent came from solar, totaling 10 percent...

A New U.S. 'Shadow Government on Climate Change' Emerges to Defy Trump

June 6, 2017 Chinese president Xi Jinping does not make it a habit of meeting with state-level American politicians, but on Tuesday Jinping sat down with California Gov. Jerry Brown, to talk about climate change. The meeting between the president and the governor was all over Chinese state-run news, and looked every bit...

from govexec

Trump’s Budget Would Gut Government Science — Except for the U.S. Nuclear Program

May 23, 2017 The latest draft of the Trump administration’s federal budget released Monday night (May 22) calls for cuts to the major US departments and programs that have science at the core of their work. The US Environmental Protection Agency, as expected based on prior budget proposal drafts, is set to lose...

from govexec

Scott Pruitt Requests Funds For a 24/7 Fleet of Bodyguards

April 11, 2017 The administrator of the US Environmental Protection Agency, historically, has had some measure of government-funded personal security detail. Agents routinely picked Gina McCarthy from the airport, for example, or accompanied her on site visits during her time as EPA administrator from July 2013 to Jan 2017. But Scott Pruitt, the...

from govexec

BLM's New Website Banner Image Tells You Everything You Need to Know About Trump’s Plan for the Agency

April 7, 2017 Changes are hitting plenty of federal websites under the new administration of US president Donald Trump, but the latest may be the most flamboyantly literal display of shifting priorities yet: The banner image on the Bureau of Land Management’s website was changed last week from a photograph of a man...

from govexec

Where to Read the Nitty-Gritty Details of White House Employees’ Personal Finances

April 3, 2017 The White House released the financial details of some of its employees last night, painting a picture of spectacular wealth held by the Trump administration’s top staff. At a press conference Friday, White House press secretary Sean Spicer described the employees as “very blessed and very successful.” And now anyone...

These Are the 158 Key Federal Science Data Sets Rogue Programmers Have Duplicated So Far

March 9, 2017 Since the weeks leading up to Donald Trump’s inauguration day, impromptu gatherings of programmers, scientists and archivists have popped up at universities across the country. They gather on weekends, laptops and thumb drives in hand, order pizza and then download and archive as much federal science data as they can...